The six-member band delivered a touch of home to troops in the Middle East, staged three one-of-a-kind concerts, signed autographs and uplifted the spirits of service men and women.
- This was the first USO tour for the band.
- As part of their week-long USO tour the band visited Bahrain and Djibouti and lifted the spirits of more than 800 service men and women.
- Since their debut in 2001, Grammy-nominated MercyMe have sold over 6 million CDs and DVDs and received multiple GMA Dove Awards, with all of their albums attaining either Gold or Platinum status.
- Producing 23 No.1 multi-format Christian radio singles, and four consecutive mainstream radio hits including “I Can Only Imagine,” “Here With Me,” “Homesick,” and “So Long Self,” the band’s latest album “The Generous Mr. Lovewell” was released May 2010.
- A big supporter of military families MercyMe routinely donates concert tickets to troops and their families and their 2009 release “Finally Home” paid homage to service heroes.
Attributed to MercyMe lead vocalist Bart Millard:
“I can’t really express how much of a blessing this USO tour was for the band and myself, it was just amazing. There is no greater sacrifice then self-sacrifice and no one knows that better than our troops, ‘thank you’ doesn’t seem like enough but I hope they realize how much we appreciate their service.”
USO Fact Sheet
Armed Forces Entertainment Logo
Social Media and Other Web Sites:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/the_USO, http://twitter.com/MercyMe and http://twitter.com/armedforcesent
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/theUSO, http://www.facebook.com/mercyme andhttp://www.facebook.com/Armed.Forces.Ent
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/USO4troops a
About the USO
The USO (United Service Organizations) lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops and their families, wounded warriors and their families and the families of the fallen.
The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. We rely on the generosity of our volunteers and donors. In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines and TriWest Heathcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: AT&T Inc., BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Clear Channel Communications, The Coca-Cola Company, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Northrop Grumman Corporation and Procter & Gamble. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visithttp://www.uso.org.